Oh, geek love. We always hear about or it see it in the movies where the geeky guy needs to win over the girl of his dreams. Or where the group of geek guys are lamenting over their pathetic love lives. There’s always an article or book pointed at the guys giving them advice on how to break out of their shell and meet someone. But what about the ladies?! We’re not just prizes to be won! Just like an adventurer, we aren’t going to wait around for that special someone to fall into our laps, we’re going to go out and find that treasure. Thanks to Hope Nicholson, she’s trying to bring an anthology to our tables through Kickstarter that’s all about The Secret Loves of Geek Girls and will hopefully serve as a guide for when life has gotten a girl down or she needs a little help. I should also point out that this guide will be so much better than any stupid, He’s Just Not That Into You type of book.
The anthology is a celebration of the stories us geek gals tell each other but never really make public and gives insight to those trying to find love. All of the stories in this anthology are non-fiction to emphasize all of the ways real life women have negotiated the battlefields of love, dating, and sex. It’s a compilation of stories told from fans perspectives and creators and chronicles successes, embarrassments, fandoms that we ship, and reassures us that other ladies have been in our predicament before.
The Secret Loves of Geek Girls includes:
- Cover Art by Gisèle Lagacé & Shouri
- Art by Renee Nault, Jen Bartel, and Sanya Anwar
- New comics by: Margaret Atwood, Meaghan Carter, Megan Kearney, ALB, Jen Vaughn, Meags Fitzgerald, Gillan G., Diana Nock, Roberta Gregory, Laura Neubert, Sarah Winifred Searle, Natalie Smith, Jenn Woodall, Mariko Tamaki, and Irene Koh.
- Illustrated stories by: Kate Leth, Janet Hetherington, Sam Maggs/Selena Goulding, Megan Lavey-Heaton/Isabelle Melançon, and Cherelle Ann Sarah Higgins/Rachael Wells
- Text stories by Brandy Lynn, Stephanie Cooke, Diana McCallum, Jen Aprahamian, Katie West, Adrienne Kress, Soha Kareem, Loretta Jean, J.M. Frey, Trina Robbins, Twiggy Tallant, Rachel Deering, Hope Nicholson, Crystal Skillman, Marguerite Bennett, Soraya Roberts, Emma Woolley, Gita Jackson, Renee Nejo, Natalie Zina Walschots, Alicia Contestabile, Tini Howard, Cara Ellison, Jess Oliver-Proulx, and Erin Cossar.
Reprinted comics by: Gisele Lagace and Danielle Corsetto.
Nicholson has already surpassed her goal (yay!) but that doesn’t mean you can’t still pitch in and help her meet the stretch goals, which will go to supporting all of the women that put their stories and work out there for this anthology.
The amount of stories and art alone is bound to make this one hell of a fascinating read. It’s hard when you’re a lady geek trying to find love because most of the time people give you the advice of acting normal to find someone or trying to be more “girly” even though you’re happier spending your nights playing video games than going to the bar. And that advice is just crap. Trust me, I’ve been there and wish that I had this guide when I was navigating the dating field.
The Secret Loves of Geek Girls is estimated to arrive in December 2015. The Kickstarter ends July 24, 2015.